Eighth graders

Hey Eighth Grade!

Ms. Harding's 6th period science class

Salina Herrera, Staff Reporter

Every year, a group of sixth-graders turn into seventh, seventh into eighth, and then the eighth graders leave middle school behind. Here are some ways we eighth-graders are making our last year a reason to remember middle school as the years of school we didn’t (entirely) hate.
To help prepare for high school, different students will have their own ways to help themselves and others. Bralon Gouge states,” I am asking for extra credit, in the classes that allow it and helping my classmates. I am also asking more questions.” Extra credit is a good way to keep grades up, and asking questions will help you understand the material. Students, in general, need to do these things to make sure they are understanding and keeping up.
When eighth-graders move on to high school, most of the time they want friends, so they feel like they at least sort of fit in. These friendships can be very helpful, too. Students should always help their friends and peers if the teacher can’t. When asked if his friends were preparing, too, Gouge states,” Mostly. Some I can’t tell.”
The teachers for all grades should be supportive and helpful when it comes to academics, but for the eighth-grade staff, they also have to get the students ready for high school! Athena Millam states, “The teachers are cool. All of them are sarcastic or funny.” Adding humor to a teaching style will help students like the teacher, and will help students feel more comfortable admitting when they need help.
Students can set goals for themselves as another way to help push themselves to get good grades. After they complete these goals, students could reward themselves, then strive to exceed their goals. When asked what goals he has set for himself, Gouge says,” Straight A’s, and to be successful in understanding the criteria.” Students should first set very achievable goals, so they aren’t put down when they can’t hit their larger ones. When they do hit their initial goals, students should then set higher ones that are now achievable.