Congratulations to our Student Media Olympics winners!

OJEA

June 8, 2020

This was the inaugural year for JoLane’s journalism program, and our staff worked hard to create interesting content to put on our brand new website and Instagram page. We also entered the Student Media Olympics, a statewide journalism competition in April, right after we moved to distance learning. We submitted work from every student in the class, as well as submitting our entire website. Today we learned that we received 12 Honorable Mention awards overall, despite the fact that we were competing in the high school category! These results are due to the dedication of our incredible staff who worked hard to build this program from the ground up.

Our first award went to the entire  JoLane Pioneer Post Staff for their work on the JoLane Pioneer Post website. According to the judge, “You do a nice job of covering interesting things on campus–I enjoyed the news, the opinions about assembly behavior and changing the culture. I also think the spotlight student has potential as a way to get to know about students on campus. You are also adding content that relates to the pandemic, which I think your readers will appreciate.”

What follows is a list of individual award winners and the names of their articles, videos, or podcasts. Please take a moment to check out their work!

JoLane awardees:

Kyle Boswell & Marti Schemmel:

Leni Maidlow and Sierra Riccalarsen: Pioneer Potpourri

Wesley Hardin, Zoe Johnson, and Harmony Klingenmeyer: Keeping the Tempo, Episode Three

Wesley Hardin, Zoe Johnson, and Max Attebury: Keeping the Tempo, Episode One

Emily Alvarez: Spring Leadership news

Helena Pappas: Lookingglass Block Run

Maile Tsuchiya and Salina Herrera: Welcome to the Boys and Girls Club/Special features of the Boys and Girls Clubs

Kadie Davis and Teagan Killoran: New and improving National Junior Honor Society & New-fangled NJHS induction ceremony

Helena Pappas: Drama class creates a ‘wonderland’ for audience

Helena Pappas: Student Spotlight, Yilin Yang

Teagan Killoran, Kadie Davis, and Max Attebury: Just show up